Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Importance of Being Playful




I had probably one of my favorite days ever today and I spent it acting childishly. I need to elaborate though, because I know I tend to the childish side more often than the average person but I actually mean it a little more literally today.

Today, I was invited by Discovery Place to attend a media/blogger day. I love Discovery Place. Of course, it is a great place to take kids to learn. There are awesome exhibits to teach and inspire, and that's all good and fine...but I think this place is seriously undervalued as far as adults go. How often do you go without kids? If you answered never, then I think you are long overdue for a visit.

First of all, kids are always learning, learning every day, people are always trying to reach them. While Discovery Place provided that in HD, the value I take away every single time I go there, is the gift of sore abs after nonstop laughter.

Of course I went through the Mummies of the World exhibit, and that is wonderful and exciting and awesome and educational, but I already did that. Today I came to play.

Today, the stresses of at work and home and personally were cast aside for an afternoon of playing like a child. I used the wind machine to make it rain foil confetti and then I danced in it. We made a stop animation using a snake. We smacked pots and pans around. We built. We explored. I walked on a rope bridge with heels on, fully aware that I was going to get stuck and completely joyful when it happened and I freed myself. I saw a giant tortoise. I told it I loved it. I made friends with a rainbow colored fish that followed my finger around the glass but not someone else's. I saw a seahorse zip around an aquarium like it was on crack while the other ones slept. I watched a grown man get his butt kicked at tug of war by three 7 year olds. He says he let them win but I'm not so sure...haha....I got tweeted to by an actual bird and it wasn't on my phone. I tweeted back and didn't even realize the joke potential til just now because I wasn't concerned with my phone. I WASNT CONCERNED WITH MY PHONE. Anyone who knows me knows that is some kind of miracle. I laughed and laughed and laughed. And laughed.

It is so important to realize the importance of laughter as a daily event..it is not even possible to laugh unless you forget your stress, if even just for a short while. Laughter makes your heart go faster, gets your blood flow going, and makes you feel wonderful. Being carefree and childlike is not a bad thing, in fact I think it is necessary as adults to make sure not to let that inner child wander too far away...I love mine. Actually, my inner child pretty much holds my hand and tugs me along behind it....sometimes I let her run, and other times I have to say no to things like another cupcake or staying up when I can't keep my eyes open.

It's true that someone has to be the adult, but I think being a child is completely underrated. If you can't laugh, if you can't have fun, if you can't let go and just be in the moment, then I can't imagine what you expect to be waiting for you at the end of the tunnel other than exhaustion.

It's okay if you lost track of your inner little one....you don't have to go to Discovery Place to find them, but it's a good start. If you're one of my international readers, then maybe try this: Go get some bubbles at a toy store. They're still super cheap. Imagine your problems leaving your body as you exhale and watch them float away from you and finally popping, disappearing into obscurity. It all goes downhill from there. Sideways. Hands across your chest and laughing like it's illegal. This I promise you.

Love you all the way to the moon
XX
S

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Socialkenny said...

Good point in this post.

BTW,you're such a hot mama Shannon lol.

Anyway,playfulness is key in what I do(which is picking up women).No girl wants to be in the presence of a guy who's afraid to let the child side comes out when warranted.But some men are unable to be playful.

And remember to check out my blog and show some love via your insights/comments.

 

Post a Comment

I fixed the comment settings!! Leave me a little note, a comment, feedback!! Criticism is fine, but hateful or mean comments will be removed. Come on, it takes more time to be a jerk than it does to be a sweetie. Go take a nap and revisit me. Love you, fishies!! <3 SNN

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home